Monday, January 25, 2010

Homemade Soup

I should probably start this post with a disclaimer, a chef I am NOT! In fact, I honestly rather prefer not to cook. Have you ever heard someone say “You’ll get tired of eating out”? Are these people crazy? Who gets tired of eating out? I’m sure somewhere there are those Martha Stewart/Wonder Woman mothers that just thoroughly enjoy cooking and feed a child with one hand while making homemade cookies with the other. I hate those people. Ok ok, it’s not really hate it’s actually jealousy but this isn’t a therapy session so we’ll keep moving on.

Any who.

I have to come clean and admit that there are in fact certain times of the year, for whatever reason, that I actually kick into “I like cooking” mode. Odd, but true. Right now I love making soups, they are usually super easy to make and even better they are fairly cost effective.

I thought it would be great to have a chance to exchange a few recipes for soup. Since I am new to blogging and don’t really know how Mr. Linky works I figured you can either give your recipe in comments or a link to a post for the recipe.

broccoli

Last night I made Broccoli Cheese Soup for the first time, it was nummmmmeeeeee.

I should also probably mention that I am not really a measure things out exactly kinda girl. I’m going to guess that would make me a horrible baker since that is more of a chemistry dependant but I’ll fight that battle when it comes.

Now onto the “recipe”.

1/2 bag of Broccoli florets (cooked till tender in salted water then set aside)

In large stock pot:

1/2 cup butter (melted)

1/3 large onion finely chopped (cook in butter till translucent)

1/2 cup flour (add to butter/onion mixture and cook long enough to get a slight color change, about 2 minutes)

1cup chicken stock

1cup milk (the amount for the liquids will depend on how thick you like your soup)

Be sure and whisk heavily while adding liquids to prevent lumps

Add, salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard to taste and bring to high heat and then add following ingredients.

1 cup Cheddar cheese

1.5 cup processed cheese (Velveeta)

Add the cooked broccoli

Eat

The amount of cheese and spices can be adjusted to fit your tastes.

I think the whole soup took about 15 minutes to make and made enough for LOTS of leftovers.

Maybe I’ll have to share the butternut squash soup that even the hubby loved.

Now it’s your turn. Do you have a soup recipe you love to make that you’d like to share?

 

0 comments: