Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Green Cleaning

TDC is have a cleaning party so I figured I’d join in.

I have to admit cleaning isn’t exactly on the top of my fun list, is it for anyone, other than Martha Stewart? I don’t exactly hate it so if I had the choice of cleaning or the flu, I’d pick cleaning. I tend to do regular upkeep cleaning and then break out the big guns when the DEEP cleaning mood strikes.

Here are some of my favorite cleaning products or tips.

Vinegar!!!!

vinegarp LOVE IT! Not only can you clean a kazillion and one things with it, but you can cook with it, it’s non-toxic and you can buy two jugs of it at Costco for like $2. You can’t go wrong.

oven door openDon’t you love to clean the oven? No? Yeah me either. It’s a cramped area to get to, the chemicals they sell to clean it are toxic, all around, it’s just a pain. TILL NOW (I had to, it felt like an infomercial moment)

When I purchased my condo the oven came with it, needless to say I didn’t realize I had purchased the past tenants burnt and caked on grease. I sprinkled the door and bottom with baking soda and then added vinegar, it bubbled and fizzed for a bit and I let it sit. After a few minutes I took a kitchen sponge and just wiped it all up, I was amazed that even the tacky grease came up.

12-06-FloorPergo2I have linoleum floors like the picture above, oh how I hate them, and oh how I REALLY hate those little dimples in it. You know dimples are cute on a person, not so much when it’s a floor that collects yuck in those little dimples. The floors are just one more place that vinegar becomes my special friend, it cleans the floor well and I don’t have to worry about any residue being left behind.

Kitchen-SinkI use vinegar in the sink as well. I could go on and on about vinegar but I fear the relationship may start sounding a bit unhealthy with all this dependency so I will move on.

I find I clean the toilet more often then almost anything, ohhh no don’t get the idea it’s because I enjoy it, after all, it is the toilet, but more because I can’t stand the idea of catching a stomach bug and having a non clean smelling toilet. You get me?

Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach

I used to use this oh so wonderful product, I loved it, it worked wonders. I mean I didn’t even have to scrub, that’s great in my book. Then came green products, I am all for this idea (part of the reason I love vinegar). I honestly don’t think we have any choice as a nation other than to be more conscious and green about the products we use. Sooooooo I tried this new product.

1011752879I really wanted to love it, I did, but it just didn’t work like I expected. I’m still holding out hope for a green product for the toilet and I’ll let you know as soon as I find one.

The shower/tub is another area I used to really dislike cleaning, mostly because I couldn’t get it as clean as I wanted. I’m fairly picky about the tub being able to sparkle! Soap scum is the enemy!

Till I found Kaboom I had tried everything from scrubbing bubbles to bleach. Now, I spray Kaboom on, go spray the other tub/show then come back and do a quick scrub and rinse. Honestly, I probably wouldn’t have to scrub but I have issues. Did I mention I’ve actually tried waxing the shower? Issues, lots and lots of issues.

Finally my Stock.Up.On product and always have around

RAC77182EA_1_3  clorox_wipes1

I can’t say I prefer one over the other, just whichever one Costco is currently stocking. I use these to wipe everything, clean up any spills, blow my nose…. ok maybe not that last one but everything else. I wouldn’t go so far as to call myself a germaphobe but knowing that everything has been disinfected is great.

I would love to hear about any of the products or tricks that work for you so please leave a comment.

3 comments:

mary said...

oh my we almost have the same aweful floor. mine however is more smooth and black little squares instead...AND in an old single wide mobile home. the other day, while cleaning under the sink i thought now lets try all these stupid nasty cleaners and vinegar to see what works the best...yep the vinegar. rock on sister of thrify~ness!

N @ Cheap Like a Birdie said...

Oh you should look at my other post about the product I found that actually made the floor shine. I was SHOCKED that it worked so well.

Fireplace Repair Provo said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this blog thanks for sharing